Snort mailing list archives

Re: BASH vulnerability/community.rules

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:41:43 -0400

On 9/26/2014 12:18 PM, Farnsworth, Robert wrote:
I would like to make this as easy as possible, I have used the community.rules
in the past with minor adjustments to my old snort.conf file.

Is it possible to get the new community.rules file to work with my snort.conf file.

Or can I just add the line below to my already existing community.rules file,
with maybe a minor adjustment to snort.conf

*alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:”ShellShock –
Possible CVE-2014-6271 bash Vulnerability Requested (header) “;
flow:established,to_server; content:”() {“; http_header;  threshold:type limit,
track by_src, count 1, seconds 120; sid:2014092401;)*

you should, IMHO, put it in your local.rules so that you can maintain it
yourself and remove it later if/when it appears in your normal rules loads...

as for having it work with your current snort, you haven't said what version of
snort you are running nor have you said what the exact error is that you get
when you try to use the rule with your snort version...