Snort mailing list archives

PF_Ring and ntop

From: "Miller, Mike" <Mike.J.Miller () ihs com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:48:12 -0600

Im muddling through the documentation for PF_Ring and am making some headway, but am wondering about how things work
these daysIve got HP DL380G8 servers with intel NICs and Im pretty sure Ive got PF_Ring compiled and loaded correctly.
TCPdump in the userland tree works better than the TCPdump in the search path, and zcount in the examples_zc folder
works.

I know theres different levels of performance improvement to be had in using PF_Ring, PF_Ring DAQ, libzero and PF_Ring
ZC, Im just not sure whats available without purchasing the license from the ntop folks (which Id like to do, but my
purse strings have been cut)

What I really need is the ability to us the ring buffer features to run multiple snort threads, a Single snort instance
is easily capping out a single thread, but the 1g nic is only running around 25% utilization. (and snorts using 7400
rules)

PLEASE NOTE EMAIL, ADDRESS  THERE ARE MULTIPLE MIKE MILLERS AT IHS!

ihs.com <http://www.ihs.com/>

http://www.ihsglobalinsight.com/gcpath/spacer.gif

http://www.ihsglobalinsight.com/gcpath/spacer.gif

http://www.ihsglobalinsight.com/gcpath/spacer.gif

Mike J. Miller
Principal Engineer
Computer Security Incident Response Team
15 Inverness Way East | Englewood, Co 80112
Phone: 303-858-6927 | Mobile: 720-326-1542
mike.j.miller () ihs com <mailto:mike.j.miller () ihs com>

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

รพ Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.