Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unicast ARP Request: Considered Harmful?

From: Kevin Le Gouguec <kevin.le-gouguec () insa-lyon fr>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 22:31:50 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks for your input!

I guess I sounded a bit desperate and/or maybe even accusative, so just to make things clear:

a) I don't doubt for a second that the author of the ARP preprocessor had a good reason for this unicast rule;
b) I have no stakes whatsoever in whether this rule is, has been, or ever will be relevant. I'm not even a network
admin.

From the beginning this has purely been a matter of curiosity :)

(Okay I just finished this message and I think I should put a break here and warn that the following is mostly a rant.
Not a mean one I swear! Well I don't know, I guess *nice* rants are oxymoronic but this one's more of an
incredulous-sad-puppy rant. If that makes sense. Probably doesn't. Anyway. Please by all means skip the rest of this
mail)

I mean there's probably lots of documented examples of rituals from, I don't know, ancient Mayan tribes for which we
have no explanation; the evidence is there, they used to build these weird huge statues, but whatever reason they had
for making those is lost on us because they never bothered documenting why they did that. And they built the last one
more than a millennium ago. So there, knowledge lost.

But this is different. This rule is not even a century old, the guys who *did* have a use for it are probably still
alive and can still remember the threat it answered to, even if now nobody cares because ARP polling is a thing and
there are so many application layers stacked on each other where security can fail before having to dirty your hands at
the link layer.

I can sort of imagine that there could be some fields in IT where someone's very highly specific code from the 80s
could find its way in a popular Open Source project and no one has a clue as to what it was supposed to do. Network
Intrusion Detection though? I can understand terse documentation, but I wrote this question mostly thinking I was a
n00b without imagination or in need of enlightenment (I would totally have accepted "RTFM" as a means to enlightenment
too, provided said Manual was linked). Asking a question nobody can provide an answer for does not make me less of a
n00b of course, but now I have to file "Why were unicast ARP requests ever a threat to anyone?" along with "Is there
free will?", "What comes after death?" and "What's the shape of the universe?".
And that just feels kinda wrong :/

Seriously though, I know I'm blowing this out of proportion, plus I really don't mean to spam this list, so I'll just
go with "At some point somebody needed that because reasons". Thanks for putting up with me.