Snort mailing list archives

LRO/GRO offloading, TCP Chimney in Windows Platforms

From: Bill Parker <wp02855 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 14:25:41 -0700

In reviewing Cody's recent issues with LRO/GRO offloading, I decided to
check the windows side of the house, and sure enough, these values are
enabled (or present) in operating systems as far back as XP (I just turned
off Large Send Offload (IPv4)
and TCP/UDP Checksum Offload on my XP based Laptop).

Here are some URL's for additional information:

This issue also exists in Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2012

hxxp://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2010/02/21/tcp-offloading-again.aspx

hxxp://
www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/disabling-tcp-offloading-in-windows-server-2012

hxxp://
social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3834ad00-94c1-4b78-8296-d917afa00111/server-2008-r2-file-copying-slow-when-recipient-iniaties-transfer?forum=winservergen

Note - Above URL's are listed as hxxp:// rather than http:// to prevent
accidential clicking :)

In windows XP, it may show up as Large Send Offload (IPv4) and
TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) under the network adapter properties.

Bill Parker