Snort mailing list archives

Re: Default rule set

From: "Kurzawa, Kevin" <kkurzawa () co pinellas fl us>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:16:02 -0400

If you use the "security" ruleset (vs the connectivity or balanced ruleset) then you will end up with around 6K rules.
Balanced is a several hundred fewer, I believe. The criteria for what each ruleset consists of is found on the
snort.org site. It has to do with age and criticality, basically.

Pulled Pork has an option in the config file to do this automatically. Oinkmaster does not, that I found. It is why I
switched from Oinkmaster to Pulled Pork, myself.