Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error: Can't set DAQ BPF filter to 'start'

From: "Steve Crow" <scrow () amarilloheartgroup com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 17:13:12 -0500

Thank you, I will try that.

The interface listed in fedora is p1p1

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: waldo kitty [mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 1:09 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Error: Can't set DAQ BPF filter to 'start'

On 5/14/2014 11:41 AM, Steve Crow wrote:
Hi, I had snort working, after installing Wireshark and doing some
testing I rebooted. Now I get an error when trying to run snort. This is
on Fedora 20.

Testing with:
cd /usr/sbin
./snort -T -I p1p1 -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf Snort
successfully validated the config

Then:
snort start

this command is your problem... you are executing the snort binary instead
of your snort startup script... it is best to rename your snort startup
script to something other than just "snort" *OR* you should rename your
snort binary and adjust your script to point to the new binary name...

--

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest Snort
news!