Snort mailing list archives

Re: community.rules file - failure error during restart or start of snort

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:14:16 -0400

On 4/30/2014 2:48 PM, Farnsworth, Robert wrote:
This is the complete output.

135 serverx /usr/local/snort/etc$ /etc/init.d/snort_rc restart

Stopping Snort: success

Starting Snort: failure

136 serverx /usr/local/snort/etc$

that's the output from the startup script... we need to see the /snort/
output... you should find it in your logs... if you are running on *nix, you
should find it in your /var/log/messages file there may be several hundred
lines... we only need to see maybe the last 20 of the snort related entries...
the following might be helpful...

   grep -iE "snort\[" /var/log/messages | tail -n 20