Snort mailing list archives

Disappointed: I spent S$109 on a Buffalo DD-WRT router but can't get port mirroring to work

From: Teo En Ming <teo.en.ming () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 23:23:43 +0800

Hi,

I am extremely disappointed. I spent SGD$109 on the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 wireless router but can't get port mirroring to work.

I have tested the following 2 iptables commands with *all* of the DD-WRT v24-SP2 firmware builds/versions from the year 2011 to the year 2014 but still cannot get port mirroring to work.

# iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -j ROUTE --gw 192.168.1.40 --tee

# iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -j ROUTE --gw 192.168.1.40 --tee

I bought my Buffalo DD-WRT router according to the recommendations in http://www.snort.org/docs (Bill/William Parker's How to make some Home Routers mirror traffic to Snort <http://s3.amazonaws.com/snort-org/www/assets/217/Mirror_Traffic_With_Home_Router.pdf> article) but I can't get port mirroring to work. Apparently *all* of the DD-WRT v24-SP2 firmware builds/versions between 2011 and 2014 don't support the route target and tee.

What are my options now? I couldn't return the Buffalo DD-WRT router to the distributor in Singapore and ask for a refund.

Are there any other firmware builds/versions which I can try to get port mirroring to work? I have also filed a bug report with http://www.dd-wrt.com. The bug report is here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/bugtracker/view.php?id=4522

I have also reported the issue on the DD-WRT forum but nobody is replying to my thread. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260012

I also joined DD-WRT IRC channel on freenode but nobody is replying to my questions.

*Sob sob sob sob sob sob*

What should I do? Please advise.

--
Yours sincerely,