Snort mailing list archives

Re: PROTOCOL-DNS Malformed DNS query with HTTP content. What's the angle?

From: Nick Randolph <drandolph () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:54:19 -0400

I'll go ahead and answer both in this thread.
That rule was actually sent to us from a Snort user. They observed this
type of probe on their network and submitted a rule. It's simply suspicious
traffic. HTTP is a connectionless protocol so it's possible to implement it
over UDP but I don't know of anyone using it like that.