Snort mailing list archives

Re: http_header usage

From: "lists () packetmail net" <lists () packetmail net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 19:35:40 -0500

Hi,

On 04/21/2014 06:23 PM, Cagri Ersen wrote:
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"Test rule";
flow:to_server; content:"GET"; http_header; sid:1;)

However, if I remove the http_header; then snort generate alerts as expected.

You want to use the http_method normalized buffer, RFC 2616 considers "GET" an
HTTP method.  I know, one would say "But http_cookie, http_method, http_uri, etc
should all be included in http_header!" but these are performance-optimized
normalized buffers that are exclusive of each-other, not inclusive.

Without seeing your snort.conf, I believe the below should fire on every HTTP
request:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"Test rule";
flow:to_server; content:"GET"; http_method; sid:1;)

Cheers,
Nathan Fowler