Snort mailing list archives

Re: Why so many default disabled rules?

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:00:31 +0000

I have sent this before and here it is again:

http://blog.snort.org/2013/10/snort-vrt-default-ruleset-rebalancing.html

Ultimately, the rules should be tailored/customized based on your network, systems, and whatever you are trying to
protect. Not the VRT nor anyone except YOU would know what rules should be enabled, because these are applied to your
environment and not just blindly enabled for everybody. For example, I do not worry about SCADA rules, so I do not want
them enable by default, but if becomes of my interest, I can go ahead and enable it because a new SCADA device may have
been introduced to the network.

Hope this helps.
YM