Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snorby Snort or Barnyard scrambles IPs

From: Ilja Schumacher <ilja.schumacher () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 10:12:15 +0200

Hi guys,

Barnyard2 actually reads everything fine from the u2 logs. All parts of the
alarms are shown correctly in DB and snortby except the IPHDR.source and
IPHDR.destinations columns.

I have run search functions over the whole system. No u2spewfoo found
anywhere. So I guess the snort-Debian-Wheezy-ARMEL package does indeed not
have it.

Until now I could not see any barnyard traffic over the eth or lo interface
because i had it configured to use "localhost" causing it to use the socket
instead of lo interface.
Changed to 127.0.0.1. Now I see the mysql statements barnyard2 inserting in
clear text as you said.

Result: Barnyard2 is inserting wrong values like 3232255270 =
*192.168.77.38*
While u2 logs (i can only read them in HEX which is still ok) show the
correct adresses.

So the current status is:
Snort => snort.u2.log = correct
snort.u2.log => Barnyard2 => DB = 3rd and 4th bytes of IPHDR.source and
IPHDR.destination are swiched and padded with rubbish for some reason.

I will bring up the issue in the mailinglist of barnyard-users (thanks for
the link) and report back.

@Alex: Already checked that. Obfuscate IPs is disabled on my system atm.

Cheers and Thanks
Ilja

So the u2 tools are part of the snort package and should be even on debian.
  "u2spewfoo" lets you look at the u2 files, dumps what they contain in a
readable format.

So it from your notes it seems BY2 isn't readying the U2 right, or not
sending it to mysql correctly.  BY2 should send the communication to the DB
over plain text (according your config) so should see the bad IP going over
the wire when it reads the u2 file.

Elz (beenph) is one of the authors of BY2 and there is a mailing list for
support and since I'm not a coder he might have some better ideas.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/barnyard2-users

looking at past archives I don't see any threads related to running BY2 on
arm, so I don't know that it has or has not already been looked at.  It is
odd that it gets part of the IP, but not all of it.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:05 AM, Ilja Schumacher <