Snort mailing list archives

Re: Preprocessor :: HTTP Inspect

From: "Tom Peters (thopeter)" <thopeter () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:42:01 +0000

Chinmay,

I remember reading that paragraph in the manual when I started working here.

It is a legacy and you would do well just to forget it. Once upon a time it was true. HTTP Inspect included "stateless"
and "stateful" processing, except that the latter was actually nothing but lengthy hooks for an unimplemented feature.
Hence the paragraph.

Snort went a different direction a long time ago. Protocol Aware Flushing (PAF) was developed and HTTP was integrated
with streams and TCP processing. Modern HTTP Inspect has many session-aware features.

By strange coincidence a colleague of mine removed the old "stateful" hooks from the source code last week. They will
be gone in a future open source release.

Tom