Snort mailing list archives

Heartbleed Rule

From: Nicholas Bogart <nickybzoss () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 11:43:33 +0300

Boss asked me about creating a rule for the OpenSSL Heartbleed.  I asked
him why not just go update all the servers.  He just stared at me.  So I am
submitting to the community for review and comment the rule I drew up on
this proof-of-concept exploit for the heartbleed vulnerability.

Exploit - https://gist.github.com/takeshixx/10107280
CVE - https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-0160
Heartbleed References -
http://threatpost.com/seriousness-of-openssl-heartbleed-bug-sets-in/105309
https://threatpost.com/openssl-fixes-tls-vulnerability/105300

alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 443 (msg:"Attempted Heartbleed access
exploitation for OpenSSL 1.0.1f and lower"; flow: to_server; content:"| 18
03 02 00 03 01 40 00 |"; reference:cve, CVE-2014-0160;)

NickyB