Snort mailing list archives

Re: [YOUTUBE] Teo En Ming's Snort IDS Sensor in Action

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:08:25 -0600

On 2014-04-08 11:41, Teo En Ming wrote:
Dear List,

Please go to Youtube and watch my video of Snort IDS sensor in
action!
The Youtube link is as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVqlxBJYUj4 [1]

Watch how I added a ICMP packet detection rule in icmp.rules, went to
http://grc.com [2] to port scan my public IP address, and the ICMP
packet snort rule firing off.

Dear Joel,

Could you publish my Youtube video on http://www.snort.org/docs [3]?

Dear James Lay,

Since my ICMP packet snort rule fired off when I initiate a port scan
against my public IP from http://grc.com [4], do you consider my
Snort
IDS sensor to be fully operational?

Regards,

Teo En Ming

Teo,

I would consider that the core functionality of snort is working.  I
would now go into the tuning phase...verify all private/public IP's that
you own/manage are in HOME_NET...identify server ports in use and start
adding them in (SMTP, HTTP, MSSQL, etc...).

James