Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Event Types

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:03:05 -0600

On 2014-03-27 07:46, Dave Corsello wrote:
Configure Snort with an additional output statement to send alerts to
an
alert_fast file.  Your script can monitor that file and act on
certain
alerts.

On 3/27/2014 9:13 AM, Turnbough, Bradley E. wrote:
Is it possible to generate an alert (logged to a unified file) AND
also fire a script to do something on the OS of the sensor itself?

I have snort installed and operating properly.  Snort 2.9.5.5.
Snort currently outputs to unified2.

"output unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128"

Barnyard2 (2.1.9) picks up the .u2 file and processes it.

Barnyard2 config:
output alert_fast: stdout
output database: alert, mysql, user=snort dbname=snorby
password=blah host=ipaddresshere

I want to kick off a shell script file to do some things within the
sensor when the alert is first generated.  Is this possible?

I'm running daemonlogger to generate pcap files, and want to be able
to archive the pcap files when certain traffic triggers an alert.

Thanks,

Brad

Apps like wots and SEC work great for monitoring syslog or snort fast
alert files.

James

http://www.e-dynamics.be/?section=programs
http://simple-evcorr.sourceforge.net