Snort mailing list archives

Re: Order of Preprocessors

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 04:45:12 +0000

Hi Tony,

This thread may provide insight:

http://seclists.org/snort/2014/q1/586

YM

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 22:34:10 -0400
From: deusexmachina667 () gmail com
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: [Snort-users] Order of Preprocessors

Hello All,

I'm in the midst of writing up huge chunks of documentation on how
snort processes traffic from being taken in off the wire all the way
up to the rule trees. I plan on making this information free and
available for everyone, everywhere.

Last time I took the snort and SFCP exams, was around 2.8.6 and 3D
system 4.9... ish. Anyhoo, my point is that I do not want to presume
that my knowledge of snort or its preprocessors is or was ever
perfect, so I'm asking for help from fellow professionals to ensure I
get this right the first time.

Now, if I recall correctly, the GENERAL order in which snort processes
traffic is something like:

1. Traffic comes inbound. If interface is not busy (e.g. Dropping
Packets at the interface/kernel level), proceed
2. BPF applied. If traffic meets criteria, proceed
3. Packet Decoder decodes traffic.
4. Network-Layer preprocessors (ip rep => arp spoof => frag 3 =>
stream 5 => normalize?)
5. Application-Level preprocessors (http, ftp/telnet, modbus/DNP3,
DCE/RPC, SunRPC, SSL, SSH, etc.)
6. Specific Threats (BO, sfportscan, others?)
7. Rule Chains

Am I correct in my assertions? If not, can anyone correct me?

Next: The IP Reputation Preprocessor. According to the official
snort.org documentation, it's stated that this preprocessor "runs
before other preprocessors". Is IP Reputation ran before packet
decoding, or is packet decoding still the absolute first step?

Next: Network-Layer preprocessors. I'm a little foggy in this area as
well. In general terms, I know that frag3 comes before stream 5, but
where does arpspoof fit in? If the sensor is inline and normalize is
enabled, Where does normalization take place?

If I get answers to these questions, I will make sure to attribute
them to the snort-users mailing list.

Thanks,

Tony
--
when does reality end? when does fantasy begin?