Snort mailing list archives

Re: [snort-devel] Creating a new variable into a preprocessor and using it in the rules engine

From: Emiliano Fausto <emiliano.fausto () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:55:01 -0200

Hi all,

after doing some more research on this, I think that although it could be a
different way of facing this requirement I have, there could be a way
developing a "Detection Plugin".

Does anyone know if from my own detection plugin, I could call the
"content" or "pcre" one?

For instance, I create the detection plugin called: "givesTheUser", which
will create these 2 variables into SNORT memory structure (user_surname and
user_name).

But inside my plugin, I'd like to use the keywords pcre or content, without
"re-coding" them, is it possible? have anyone done something similar before?

Thanks in advance!
Emiliano.