Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unexpected results with reputation preprocessor

From: Dave Corsello <snort-users () wintertreemedia com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:41:05 -0400

My last sentence was unclear.  I should have said that the preprocessor
seems to be reporting a non-existent outbound HTTP packet for each
blocked inbound _HTTP_ packet.

On 3/19/2014 3:22 PM, Dave Corsello wrote:
Thanks Joel and James.  The problem is that according to my maillog the
preprocessor did its job--the inbound traffic never made it to my
server, so there was no outbound response traffic.  It looks to me like
for each inbound packet that the preprocessor reports, it's also
reporting a second, non-existent packet with all of the same
information, including timestamp, except that the source and destination
addresses are reversed.  I also see this at a client location where I
recently upgraded to 2.9.6.0 and turned on the reputation preprocessor.
In that case, assuming that the inbound traffic was successfully
blocked, the preprocessor seems to be reporting a non-existent outbound
HTTP packet for each blocked inbound packet.