Snort mailing list archives

hping3 flood detection

From: Meysam Farazmand <farazmand.meisam () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:42:26 +0330

Hi Dear friends,

i am trying to detect hping3 flood.i configured frag3 with the following
configuration in snort.conf :

preprocessor frag3_global: prealloc_frags 8192
preprocessor frag3_engine: policy linux detect_anomalies overlap_limit 1
min_fragment_length 5 timeout 1 bind_to 192.168.4.1

and wrote the following rule in ddos.rules file:

drop ip any any -> any any (msg:"Hping3  DDOS
Detected";flow:to_server;detection_filter: track by_src, count 20, seconds
5;fragbits:M+;sid:123123149; rev:1;)

the command for executing hping3 is here:

hping3 192.168.4.2 --flood -V -d 1450

when data size in hping3 be smaller than 1500 bytes( in the above command
is 1450) snort successfully detect it, but when it's greater than 1500
bytes (for example 1600), snort fails to detect it. because 1600 bytes is
greater than ethernet maximum frame size and the packet fragment to parts.
so we expect to frag3 detect it. but when i execute hping3 with 1600 bytes
of data and finally stop snort to see frag3 statistics it show me 0:

Frag3 statistics:
Total Fragments: 0
Frags Reassembled: 0
Discards: 0