Snort mailing list archives

Getting PF_RING to work on a vanilla driver with Snort

From: Dheeraj Gupta <dheeraj.gupta4 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:57:44 +0530

Hi,
I am trying to get PF_RING DAQ running for my Snort instance. I downloaded
the PF_RING-5.6.0 tarfile (As listed on Snort External DAQ page) and
followed the instructions to install PF_RING. In a nutshell
1. Unzip the directory and change to it
2. Run make
3. Goto kernel/ and lib/ and run make install
4. This installed the pf_ring.ko kernel module and loaded it with
transparent_mode=0

Next I changed to userland/snort/pfring-daq-module and followed the
instructions
1. autoreconf -ivf
2. /configure
3. make
4. make install

Now I can see the daq_pfring.la and daq_pfring.so under /usr/local/lib/daq.

To test snort I did
snort --daq-dir=/usr/local/lib/daq/ --daq=pfring --daq-mode passive -v

But it showed ZERO packets captured.
However, running the pfcount (pfcount -i eth1 or pfcount -lpfring -i eth1)
example application (from PF_RING) shows packets being captured

Some outputs
# lsmod | grep pf_ring
pf_ring               405158  0

# cat /proc/net/pf_ring/info
PF_RING Version          : 5.6.0 ($Revision: exported$)
Total rings              : 0

Standard (non DNA) Options
Ring slots               : 4096
Slot version             : 15
Capture TX               : Yes [RX+TX]
IP Defragment            : No
Socket Mode              : Standard
Transparent mode         : Yes [mode 0]
Total plugins            : 0
Cluster Fragment Queue   : 0
Cluster Fragment Discard : 0

# cat /proc/net/pf_ring/dev/eth1/info
Name:              eth1
Index:             3
Address:           00:25:90:0B:CE:C1
Polling Mode:      NAPI/TNAPI
Type:              Ethernet
Family:            Standard NIC
# Bound Sockets:   0
Max # TX Queues:   1
# Used RX Queues:  1

(This when Snort is not running)

I also tried to uninstall snort and reconfigure with --with-libpfring-...
options. The configurations went OK but in the config messages the message
"Checking for pfring.h" was NOT shown.

What am I doing wrong?

Dheeraj