Snort mailing list archives

Re: IPS options

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 19:31:26 -0500

On 3/5/2014 6:46 PM, James Lay wrote:
Hey all,

So....looking at changing a current Snort IDS to IPS...I've gotten some
good feedback, but wanted to post here as well.  The setup is a linux
box with two nics already bridged.  I'm need to just IPS a certain
protocol/port combination, and still alert as usual on everything else.
I looked at DAQ NFQ, but found that after getting that to work, other
alerts stopped.  So what are my options for this?  I read through the
daq doc and whatnot, but wanted opinions here as well.  Thanks for any
insight.

i can't say that i've ever heard of a "split" like that... it is either IDS or
IPS... i can't even begin to guess at how one might be able to do that unless
one can force all traffic for certain ports/protocols through one box while
forcing everything else through another...

interesting conundrum, there ;)