Snort mailing list archives

AF_Packet module

From: "Long, Kerry S" <kslong () mitre org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:54:33 +0000

I am experimenting with AF_Packet DAQ module.  Fully understand it is intended to be used to provide an inline FW
capability/IPS.  What I was wondering is if it is possible to get AF_PACKET to forward the same traffic it saw on one
interface to another interface so a program like Wireshark could sniff from the second interface and see all the
traffic that was being seen by the first interface?

So if I use the command:

/usr/bin/snort --daq afpacket --daq-dir /lib/daq --daq-var buffer_size_mb=500 -i p10p1:p10p2  -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

It is possible to sniff the second interface by using tcpdump -I p10p2 and see all the traffic on p10p1.  Is there a
way to do this with Snort I am unaware of?

Thanks,

Kerry