Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rule message change 27875

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 20:55:45 +0000

On Jan 8, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Joseph Cooper <joseph.cooper () RACKSPACE COM<mailto:joseph.cooper () RACKSPACE COM>> wrote:

I was wanting your opinions and checking to see if we could get the msg for this rule changed. The rule doesn’t
actually look for DotCachef itself, but for JJEncoding, which a lot of software and ad sites are starting to use.
Having the rule message state it is an Exploit-Kit has caused fellow analysts to continuously look for what is not
there, and I feel a change would be beneficiary to all.
Let me know what you think :)

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"EXPLOIT-KIT DotCachef/DotCache exploit kit landing page";
flow:to_client,established; file_data; content:",$$$$|3A|(![]+|22 22|)"; fast_pattern:only; metadata:policy
balanced-ips drop, policy security-ips drop, service http; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:27875; rev:1; )

Sounds good, I’ll adjust it to something more appropriate.