Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort installation and usage

From: Adrian Sevcenco <Adrian.Sevcenco () spacescience ro>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 20:48:13 +0200

On 01/18/2014 06:42 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
On 1/18/2014 3:59 AM, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
So, at this moment my understanding is that

yes, your understanding is correct... direct database writes were removed from
snort for various reasons... you have to use another tool to read snort's output
and have that tool send the data to a database... these days, that tool is
barnyard2... once the data is in the database, numerous other tools are
available for use... if barnyard2 can talk to your chosen database, you should
have no problems... your other tools will, of course, have to also talk to that
database...

i can offer no other assistance because we do not use snort with a database in
our environment...
This confirmation is enough :) Thanks!
OTOH, how do you use snort? is there a GUI of some kind that can be an
direct visual interface for the snort data? (without the intermediate
database?)

Thanks a lot!
Adrian