Snort mailing list archives

Re: Zbot/Simda sig

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 19:08:50 +0000

adding pcaps.

From: snort () outlook com
To: snort-sigs () lists sourceforge net
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 15:25:01 +0000
Subject: [Snort-sigs] Zbot/Simda sig

I was looking at a specific capture triggered by several alerts of sid:26369. Along the packets there were three
attempts made to download an executable file "calc.exe". The download was prevented, however, I downloaded the file and
came up with the below rule. VT results are mostly mixed between Zbot, Simda, and Kazy.
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"MALWARE-CNC Win.Trojan.Zbot/Simda outbound connection
attempt"; flow:to_server,established; content:"/?"; http_uri; pcre:"/\/?[0-9A-Za-z]=%/"; fast_pattern; http_uri;
content:"|25|96|25|CB|25|D5|25|A8|25|A7|25|"; http_raw_uri; metadata:impact_flag red, policy balanced-ips drop, policy
security-ips drop, ruleset community, service http;
reference:url,www.virustotal.com/en/file/80ea92e508eefa5722870c6ca48a6a1086180c754dd83cf4ebd28bf3918c2392/analysis/;sid:100065;
 rev:1;)
Thanks.YM