Snort mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Domain name like example.com

From: Ayodele Okeowo <aymacro () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 14:27:15 -0500

Thanks Waldo. I'll give it a try today and let you know before by Friday.

Happy Holidays!

Ayo

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 12/23/2013 8:50 AM, Ayodele Okeowo wrote:
Yes, existing DNS rules which alert based on domain names. I don't seem
find that in my list of rules.

you are probably using only the VRT rules, then... i believe you will find
something similar to what you are looking for in the emergingthreats rules
sets...

start here http://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/snort-2.9.0/rules/ and
look in
the dns rules set... then search for "query for suspicious" for examples
you
should be able to clone and modify for your specific needs... one domain
per
rule gives the best granularity ;)

Also How do I use it if I find it?

just like any other of the text based rules...

Can it be used just like when I'm using the whitelist/blacklist rules?

not that i'm aware of...

Sorry I couldn't reply early.

not a problem ;)

Ayo

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>