Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort normalization trouble // not working as I expect

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 15:08:09 +0000

On Dec 23, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Lil Evil <Lil_Evil () gmx de> wrote:

I guess that would explain my observation and the behaviour of my IPS setup.
So the traffic would be normalized by the pre-processor and is processed by the pre-processor rules before passing
the normalized traffic to the inspection rules? I assume instead of alert a drop would also be possible on the
pre-processor rules? Not that I want to drop http traffic with too many whitespaces in there, but to understand the
correct traffic flow.

Correct.

You can enable drop on the preprocessor rules.  But as you said, I wouldn’t want to do it wholesale.

--
Joel Esler
Intelligence Lead