Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error 504 when fetching Rules

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:25:22 +0000

Vernon,

We’ll take a look.  Thanks.

On Dec 13, 2013, at 7:18 AM, Stark, Vernon L. <Vernon.Stark () jhuapl edu<mailto:Vernon.Stark () jhuapl edu>> wrote:

I’m getting the following error when I run Pulledpork to update the rules:

Error 504 when fetching https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2946.tar.gz.md5 at ./pulledpork.pl line 453
        main::md5file('ec204f5d939e10bf200423149d081d13688934a9', 'snortrules-snapshot-2946.tar.gz', '/tmp/',
'https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/&apos;) called at ./pulledpork.pl line 1758

Is anyone else experiencing this?  I’ve used Pulledpork successfully on this Snort sensor many times so this failure is
new behavior.  The last time I updated rules, I got a 504 the first time or two but after a few tries, the rules
updated successfully.  Today I can’t get past this 504 error.  As you may know, 504 is “Gateway timeout”.  Could this
be an issue at Sourcefire or perhaps the path to/from Sourcefire?   A packet from the remote server suggests I do get
as far as Sourcefire since the content of the SSL session includes “Maryland”, “Columbia”, and “Sourcefire”.

Vern
Snort-users list archive: