Snort mailing list archives

Re: What to do?

From: "Ellad G. Yatsko" <eyatsko () ngs ru>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:22:05 +0400

Hello!

I compiled again.. :-( To restore step-by-step procedure... :-( As usual
afpacket hangs interfaces... :-(
Ubuntu 12.04.1 amd64 (under VMWare ESXi 5.2) is from scratch.

apt-get -y install build-essential libpcap0.8-dev libmysqlclient15-dev
mysql-server libc6-dev g++ gcc pcregrep libpcre3-dev iptables-dev bison
flex tshark

cd/usr/src/libdnet-1.12/
./configure "CFLAGS=-fPIC -g -O2"
make
make install

cd /usr/src/daq-2.0.1/
./configure
make
make install

cd /usr/src/snort-2.9.5.6/
./configure --enable-gre --enable-reload --enable-linux-smp-stats
--enable-zlib --enable-active-response --enable-react --enable-flexresp3
make
make install

ln -s /usr/local/lib/libdnet.1.0.1 /usr/lib/libdnet.1
ln -s /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor
/usr/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor
ln -s /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine /usr/lib/snort_dynamicengine

Then I got init.d script from neighbor Virtual Machine where I had done
apt-get install snort a minute ago and /etc/snort folder with all its
content.

scp eyatsko@80.x.x.x:/etc/init.d/snort /etc/init.d/snort
scp -r eyatsko@80.x.x.x:/etc/snort /etc/
chown root:root /etc/init.d/snort
chown -R root:root /etc/snort

Then I updated /etc/snort/snort.conf:
. . .
# Setup the network addresses you are protecting
ipvar HOME_NET 192.168.0.0/24

# Set up the external network addresses. Leave as "any" in most situations
#ipvar EXTERNAL_NET any
ipvar EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET
. . .

...and started snort:
snort -Q -v -i eth0:eth1 --daq afpacket -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

It got three bootp packets and hangs interfaces.

As I can observe such behaviour of Snort does not depend on
- Snort Version;
- Operation system/OS version;
- The way through Snort is installed;
- Rule set (I commented all include $RULE_PATH/* lines except
local.rules, which was empty).

What could explain this situation?

Kind regard,
Ellad Yatsko

I have checked something. I re-installed OS - changed it on Debian 7.2.0
x86 (Ubuntu 12.04.1 was amd64) and Snort. Snort, again, is of version
2.9.2 (if to be more accurate: 2.9.2.2).
All is much the same! It "hangs" interfaces after several tens of
packets and until several minutes passed after Snort execution break down.

What could it be? I have already mentioned that I compiled Snort from
sources. Afpacket behaves similarly.

Anybody help me!... :-)

We have Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS with snort 2.9.2 - both installed from
scratch. Snort 2.9.2 distribution is native for this Ubuntu Release.

~# snort --daq-list
Available DAQ modules:
pcap(v3): readback live multi unpriv
ipfw(v2): live inline multi unpriv
dump(v1): readback live inline multi unpriv
afpacket(v4): live inline multi unpriv
~#

Snort config and rule set both are default they come with distribution
(apt-get install ...)

IPTables has its default configuration:
~# iptables -nL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
~# iptables -t nat -nL
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
~#
I tried to put some traffic into QUEUE by command like: iptables -A
INPUT -p udp -j QUQUE, but it has no effect relative to my main problem.
I found just few cases in Internet when Snort have been started in
inline mode. And they do not abound in examples how to set up IPTables
in conjunction to Snort... :-( And, moreover, all of them differ
depending on Snort version.

After starting Snort via command-line:
~# snort -Q -vv -i eth0:eth1 --daq afpacket -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

Snort received some tens of packets (mainly my SSH session to server
with Snort), both interfaces eth0 and eth1 become unavailable from
outside (i. e. from ipvar EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET  ), but I still can
ping them from server's console. Go further. When I tried to ping
something out the server's interfaces this also has no result. Nothing
is accessible via monitored interfaces.

When I break the program execution interfaces from outside and external
destinations from inside continue to be inaccessible for some time
(several minutes).

Now I have two more or less clear dilemmas:
- how to start Snort in inline mode and to avoid it hang up (main problem);
- how to set up IPTables if it needed to daq.

Future plan relative to Snort  supposes to analyze and drop excessive
SIP-traffic ONLY (methods: REGISTER and INVITE) from certain IPs. For
example if there are many registrations per second (per ten of seconds -
no matter). Such traffic patter must be "isolated" from SIP-registrar.
And the same history is for INVITES. Ideally, it would be perfect if
Snort can add rules to IPTables to block "rougue traffic" permanently!
:-) As a rule (by my own observations) "bad guys" sit always at the same
IP addresses.

Please, help... :-)