Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-users] disablesid.conf Issue (was Syntax for "ignore=" in Pulledpork)

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:12:10 -0700

On 2013-11-14 07:56, Stark, Vernon L. wrote:
Thanks for the help YM.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting 100% success when using
disablesid.conf. I tried various additions to disablesid.conf
(ET-chat, emerging-chat.rules, emerging-chat, and ET-chat.rules) and
get the best results when I include the following line in
disablesid.conf:

ET-chat

This still leaves 9 active ET chat rules in snort.rules:

# cat snort.rules | grep "ET CHAT" | wc -l

9

The sids of these chat rules show that they come from the emerging
chat.rules file. Pulledpork does eliminate the majority of the
Emerging Threat chat rules, but doesn't disable all the rules. Has
anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions for a
fix/workaround?

In case it's relevant, I have the following line in pulledpork.conf:

state_order=disable,drop,enable

I'm only using enablesid.conf to enable a single sid.

Vern

FROM: Y M [mailto:snort () outlook com]
SENT: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:12 PM
TO: Stark, Vernon L.; snort-users
SUBJECT: RE: [Snort-users] Syntax for "ignore=" in Pulledpork

Hi,

You need to define the rules/categories you want to ignore/disable in
the "disbalesid.conf" file. Edit the same file and add:

emerging-chat.rules

The comments/documentation inside the "disbalesid.conf" file should
be
sufficient to get you going. I am not sure of the "ignore" within the
"pulledpork.conf" will operate on ET rules. Someone else can jump in
and comment in this regard.

Hope this helps.

YM