Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort not generating alerts

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:25:04 -0600

On 2013-10-22 16:11, Matt . wrote:
Im ramping up on Linux and Snort, so not highly familiar with them
yet.

That said Ive installed Snort and Snort Report onto Ubuntu 12.04 via
the instructions at the following URL and fixed the errrors that
prevented snort and barnyward2 from running.
http://www.symmetrixtech.com/articles/016-snortinstallguide2953.pdf
[1]

At this point I am not able to determine why its not generating
alerts, the log files and are empty. If I add the following lines
uncommented out to the bottom of snort.conf, data is put into the log
files and database. But once I comment out the lines nothing is
generated.

#alert ip any any -> any any (msg:"Got an IP Packet";
classtype:not-suspicious; sid:2000000; rev:1;)

#alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"Got an ICMP Packet";
classtype:not-suspicious; sid:2000001; rev:1;)
#alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"ICMP Large ICMP Packet";
dsize:>800; reference:arachnids,246; classtype:bad-unknown;
sid:2000499; rev:4;)

Ive searched online and am stumped. Any assistance, pointers,
recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Let it run for a day, then see what happens.  In this case I suspect no
news is really that...nothing hitting (yet ;)).

James