Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple SID's for same type of event

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 02:43:45 -0400

On 10/25/2013 1:24 AM, Anshuman Anil Deshmukh wrote:
Hi,

I have observed that there are different rules for detection of same events. For
your reference some of the SID’s as below-

ET POLICY Http Client Body contains passwd= in cleartext: SID 2012886
ET POLICY Http Client Body contains pass= in cleartext  : SID 2012887
ET POLICY Http Client Body contains pwd= in cleartext   : SID 2012888

these are not duplicates... the are plainly different because they use different
content detections... passwd != pass != pwd ... even though all three may be
used for the same thing, they are different... sure, they might be combined into
one rule but then we loose the granularity...

PUA-P2P Skype client start up get latest version attempt: SID 5693
PUA-P2P Skype client setup get newest version attempt : SID 5694

these two are in the same boat as the three above... one looks for
content:"/getlatestversion?ver="; and the other looks for
content:"/getnewestversion"; ... while the result may appear the same, the
action may not be the same...

I am just curious to know on why is it so? Are these SID’s mistakenly duplicated
or there is a specific reason behind it?

does the above help? you do need to look at the rules' contents at times to see
exactly what they are doing... the details are where the distinctions come
from... the MSG is generally generic but these 5 are very good in that they
depict what the content searches are ;)