Snort mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: isdataat ability in specific (preprocessor) buffers

From: Bad Horse <b4dh0rs3 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:36:09 -0400

Thanks Joel, I feel better already.

-Bad Horse
 The Thoroughbred of SYN

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com> wrote:

On Oct 23, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Bad Horse <b4dh0rs3 () gmail com> wrote:

Hi Joe, sorry for the late response.  I appreciate you Sourcefire guys (or
is it Cisco now?) looking at this.

Technically it’s “Sourcefire, now part of Cisco"

I have to be honest here ... I have been following this list and/or
contributing to the other Snort/I[DP]S mailing lists for many years. It
seems that almost everytime there is a valid bug or feature request, you
respond with a vague reference to, "the next big thing", or "coming soon",
or "exciting new enhancements", etc. that will solve all problems.  These
replies are, for the most part, unpalatable.

Yes, I understand.  I do a good of saying things are coming, but don’t do
a good job of telling you when those things actually get here.  We were
working on an overhaul to certain pieces of the Snort engine, and decided
to go back and re-engineer it even further.  Of course that pushes the date
out somewhat, but yes, we have people working on this (and other large)
issue(s).

I am not in any way disagreeing with what you say or arguing that such
claims do not come true. What I am (more) concerned about is the fact that
the promise of future fixes highly stinks like pedestrian vendors trying to
save face and make a "buck" wherever they can ... I worry that now that
Sourcefire is owned by Cisco, they will become even more vendor-odorous
(not to mention odious in terms of timely open source bug
fixes/enhancements) and lose the flexibility to properly respond to
customer needs.

We have releases for Snort already planned for the next year and beyond,
Cisco doesn’t want to get in the way of the Open Source community, the
engine, or the releases.  I could regurgitate the marketing bullet I have
about “Cisco being committed to Open Source”, but you guys don’t want to
hear that.  But they truly are.  I understand there is a mindset out there
that will think and say this, and I am sure our competitors are already
creating marketing FUD around it, but I’m still here, Marty is still here,
all the Snort developers are still here, and the entire VRT is still here.

I’m in almost constant meetings about what we are doing next.

--
*Joel Esler*
AEGIS Intelligence Lead