Snort mailing list archives

Need help: Snort not logging properly

From: Ashu Singh <akandari2012 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 13:08:53 +0530

Hi all,

I have installed snort on Alienvault device(preinstalled) ver : 2.9.3

We have four interface, one ethois  main interface, second is eth1 is
secondary (backup) eth2 and eth3 are promis interface primary and backup
respectively.

We are receiving traffic on eth2 interface and its increasing  day by day.
But in my Alienvault console, I hardly received any alert. 2-3 alerts in a
day.

Even test icmp rule is not generating alerts. Some time back while
troubleshooting with device interface, then there were lot of test icmp
rule generated. But because of that patch, device got hanged and need to
rollback that software ( itwas some alienvault10G interface device driver).

Even logs file are generating in var/log/snort/ but there size was also not
very big  hardly 1000KB in a day there was some 5 or 6 such files created
in a day.

Need to know why snort is not able to generate alert properly.  What are
test which are safe enough to be executed in live network, I can try.

Kindly help