Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cannot execute binary file

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:54:57 -0600

On 2013-09-04 10:48, Joel Esler wrote:
On Sep 4, 2013, at 12:13 PM, SnortFan <SnortFan () yahoo com [1]> wrote:

I'm not passing any configure options. On the snort site it has the
latest version for download. Is there a repository of older
versions? I don't want to jump to the latest until I am ready to
move all my sensors to the latest at once.

Here's my install:

tar xzvf snort-2.9.4.5.tar.gz
cd snort-2.9.4.5
./configure

Make this line “./configure —enable-sourcefire"

make
make install

I'm also installing prior to the snort install:
yum install -y gcc gcc-c++ flex bison zlib zlib-devel libpcap
libpcap-devel pcre pcre-devel tcpdump ncsd libtool mysql mysql-devel

libdnet-1.11
daq-2.0.0

The script I'm using is a prior employee's script. I probably don't
need to the mysql and mysql-devel

You’ll need it if you want to log to a db.

--
JOEL ESLER
Senior Research Engineer, VRT

Sounds like you've got the tarball so that should work.  Do your config
and make, and before you make install do a:

cd src
file snort

What's the output of that?

James