Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort EOL policy

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:05:35 -0400

On Aug 30, 2013, at 7:29 AM, Peter Bates <peter.bates () ucl ac uk> wrote:

Hello all

I've been glancing at

http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policy

I'm keen to avoid the EOL of 2.9.3.1 but
also to upgrade our systems to a version that
will similarly last for around a year...

Although the table hasn't been updated
I presume 2.9.5.3 and DAQ 2.0.1 are my best bet?

Thanks.

Sorry about that Peter, I just updated the table.

2.9.3.1 will EOL 2013-09-29, as in the table.  Meaning, we’ll stop compiling Shared Object rules for that platform at
that time.  It doesn’t mean that Snort will magically stop working.

But we are moving at a quicker pace this year.  We are already thinking about 2.9.7 and beyond.  I can’t promise that
2.9.5.x will last you a year, 2.9.5.3 definitely won’t, as we are planning 2.9.5.5’s release.

I know this can be a pain for some people, and we apologize for it, bear with us.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT