Snort mailing list archives

Re: Stream5 and AIX tcp keepalive alert

From: James Lay <digitalx00 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 05:13:01 -0600

On Aug 29, 2013, at 6:03 AM, Антон Половцев <etc.secure () gmail com> wrote:

Hello, community!

I'm testing snort (2.9.4) and have some questions about Stream5.

There are 2 abstract subnetworks in my scenario, 172.16.34.0/24 and 10.14.1.0/24. Both subnets are monitored with
separate snort sensors. Some host from second subnet (linux 2.6.X) makes connection (TCP) to host from first subnet
(AIX 6). Stream5 is configured to apply "linux" policy to host with linux and "bsd" policy to AIX (according to
manual). Each tcp keepalive makes nothing with sensor in subnet with linux host but generates an alert in the "AIX
subnet": 129-14 stream5: TCP Timestamp is missing. I dumped this kind of packets and found out that tcp keepalive
frame from AIX machine doesn't contain any tcp opts. Of course, "tcp timestamp is missing". I tried to google_it and
discover, that it is common behavior of AIX. Wrong policy "bsd" for AIX? Anomaly detection is off.

And another thing, for my understanding. Preprocessor's stream5 option "ports" (values client/server/both) - how to
manage right direction, manual didn't answer on 100%. Host or network, to which we apply the policy is considered as
server? And all connection from this host/subnet to others are considered as "client's"?

P.S. pcap with AIX's tcp keepalive in attachement. Thanks in advance for responses.

Make sure both subnets are in your HOME_NET.  And you can add the sig that's firing off to your threshold.conf file.

James