Snort mailing list archives

Re: smtp: ignore flow after STARTTLS if ignore_tls_data is set

From: Florian Westphal <florian.westphal () sophos com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:33:54 +0200

Bram <bram-fabeg () mail wizbit be> wrote:
Quoting Florian Westphal <florian.westphal () sophos com>:
Thank you for your email. Snort actually does whitelist the SMTP traffic.
Code that does that is in SnortSMTP (dir == SMTP_PKT_FROM_CLIENT)
line:2370. Snort only parses the Client and server certificates (Not the
complete handshake)

       if ((smtp_ssn->state == STATE_TLS_DATA)
                || (smtp_ssn->state == STATE_TLS_SERVER_PEND))
        {
            /* if we're ignoring tls data, set a zero length alt buffer */
            if (smtp_eval_config->ignore_tls_data)
            {
                _dpd.SetAltDecode(0);
                _dpd.streamAPI->stop_inspection( p->stream_session_ptr, p,
SSN_DIR_BOTH, -1, 0 );
                return;
            }
        }

Hm.  Does not work for me with 2.9.5.3.

http://strlen.de/fw/starttls-pcap.cap

Can you check if this url is correct? It keeps returning a HTML page...

Fixed.

I would like to take a look at the dump because there are instancens
in which snort fails to (correctly) detect the STARTTLS command (a
separate message about this will be send to bugs+snort-devel).
This may be one of them but I can't tell without the dump..

No, snort detects the smtp exchange and the tls session.

The code quoted above is not part of 2.9.5.3, so my guess is that
whitelisting has been added after that release.