Snort mailing list archives

rule timing and benchmarking

From: Mike Miller <mike () millertwinracing com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:24:12 -0600

I've come onboard to a company that has an extremely specific set of snort
rules, based on an event in their recent past.

There are a number of directions we can go in to optimize the sensors, but
I have a few questions to see if that's necessary.

The rulesets define a LARGE number of IP addresses of interest, based on an
event.

We have some IP lists that define roles based on target value and badguy
destination. So, a typical rule will be

alert tcp [$ASSET_LIST, !$FILESERVERS, !$NETWORK_STUFF, !$WEBSERVERS] any
<> [$KNOWN_BADGUYS, $SUSPECTED_BADGUYS, !$WHITELISTED_IPS] any (msg " .....

The problem being, there could be several hundred source and destination IP
addresses in that rule, and there's quite a few rules.

Is there a significant performance impact by listing an excessively large
number of IP addresses in a rule?

The server in question is an Alienvault sensor, near as I can tell, I can't
use PF_RING to pile up additional threads (still researching), but we may
end up throwing additional hardware or replace with a bigger box. Currently
it can handle _just_ these specific rules, so much of the other snort
rulesets are disabled.