Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules to detect all the attacks listed in DARPA dataset ?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:24:19 -0400

Set your variables to "any" and see what you get.

--
Joel Esler

On Aug 20, 2013, at 8:16 PM, dsigma <dsigma () 163 com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm working on running snort with DARPA dataset for 4 weeks but I gain little success to detection its attacks by
snort.
My test setup is as follow:

I've two virtual machine with Ubuntu installed. On the first virtual machine I've Tcpreplay installed to replay
network traffic stored in one day of DARPA testing dataset to network. On the other machine, I've set IP address
manually to one of Victim's IP address in the dataset (eg. 172.16.112.50). Also, I've installed snort-2.9.3.1 to
protect just this machine. (HOME_NET= 172.16.112.50 & External_NET= !$HOME_NET)

I'm confused by the output alerts. After than four hours of running, snort generates about 17000 alerts that less
than 1% of them has source or destination IP address same as my configured HOME_NET (172.16.112.50).  My second
problem is detection rate. It doesn't generate any true positive alert.

And how could I detect all the attacks listed in DARPA,
(http://www.ll.mit.edu/mission/communications/cyber/CSTcorpora/ideval/docs/attacks.html). Is there a set of rules
that could detect all the attacks?
Any help would be appreciated.
Linbo Qiao