Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-2.9.4, daq 2.0.1 afpacket in inline mode snort fails to drop packets even when RULE is set to drop

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 17:34:22 -0400

On 8/18/2013 15:08, Y M wrote:
If I understand your question correctly, this is where -i eth0:eth1 comes into
play. This tells snort that traffic is flowing from eth0 to eth1 and back. In my
case, its up to the implementer to assign which interface to receive the network
feed based on home and external net, and the placement of the sensor within the
network. For example, assume my $HOME_NET is 192.168.10.10 and my $EXTERNAL_NET
is any and I want to assign the eth0 to my actual home net feed and eth1 to my
feed leaving the network. In this case, using an ICMP rule I would be able to
drop any ping request from my home net going out.

ahhh... right, right, right... i had missed that earlier...

Did I address your question? I am not sure what do you mean by OP's, lack of
acronyms knowledge :)

yes you answered correctly...

OP means "original poster" or "original post" depending on the context ;)

thanks for the clarification!