Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-2.9.4, daq 2.0.1 afpacket in inline mode snort fails to drop packets even when RULE is set to drop

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 18:57:35 +0000

What is the order of your rules processing? In our setup we kept our processing order intact. Try using sid:384 (thats
what I meant originally).

From: rgreenhouse413 () gmail com
To: rgreenhouse413 () gmail com; snort-users () lists sourceforge net; snort () outlook com
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort-2.9.4, daq 2.0.1 afpacket in inline mode snort fails to drop packets even when RULE is
set to drop
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:20:03 -0400

YM,

YM>If you run snort in inline mode with the same setup you have, do you
see packets passing through and alerts are being generated for your rule?
RG> Yes

YM>Have you changed rules processing order?
RG>Yes

YM>Please post the command you are using to run Snort and the rule you
are using for testing drops.
RG>/snort/bin/ssnort -Q -c /snort/etc/ssnort.conf -d --daq afpacket
--daq-mode inline --daq-dir /snort/daq/lib64/daq -l /snort/logs -i eth0:eth1
--daq-var buffer_size_mb=512 --daq-var debug &

Test rule:

drop icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"PROTOCOL-ICMP Address
Mask Request undefined code"; icode:>0; itype:17; metadata:ruleset community;
classtype:misc-activity; sid:389; rev:10;)

Thanks for all your help, hopefully you can guide us to the bottom of this
critical problem.

Thanks,
Richard