Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 issue w/unified2 ?

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:59:41 -0400

On 8/15/2013 13:50, John Ives wrote:
Trying to output it to a postgres db. I did a quick look in the
configuration, but I didn't see what option is used to differentiate
the instances, so I suspect this is the root of my issue.

one major thing to note in the cases of running multiple instances of a program
is the PID file they use... you definitely do not want more than one instance
using the same PID file...

how to indicate to the instance what its ID is in addition to its normal "ID" is
something else altogether... some apps have provisions for this while others do
not...

for example, in our environment, snort sniffing the ppp0 interface has a PID
file name of snort_ppp0.pid... on the eth0 interface, it is snort_eth0.pid...
same for the other interfaces...