Snort mailing list archives

Re: A few pulledpork questions

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:44:05 +0000

I will try to help at the best I can

To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:08:18 -0600
From: jlay () slave-tothe-box net
Subject: [Snort-users] A few pulledpork questions

Hey all,

First...seeing this when I run PP:

Generating Stub Rules....
         An error occurred: WARNING: threshold.conf(26) threshold
(standalone) is deprecated; use event_filter instead.

which is:
threshold gen_id 138, sig_id 1000, type limit, track by_src, count 1,
seconds 60

 From the readme.thresholding:
THRESHOLD EXAMPLES:
------------------
# Rule Threshold - Limit to logging 1 event per 60 seconds
threshold gen_id 1, sig_id 1851, type limit, track by_src, count 1,
seconds 60

Why is the error occurring?  What can I do to troubleshot this?

"Threshold" keyword is/will be deprecated. If you read the line right above the table in section "2.4.2.1 Format" at
http://manual.snort.org/node19.html, it says that threshold will be deprecated. Use event_filter instead. The table
gives good usage explanation.

Second...

I've made a special snort.conf that has ALL rules, so I can get all the
rules, but then enable/disable the ones I want within different configs.
I have this in the config:

var PREPROC_RULE_PATH /opt/etc/snort/preproc_rules
include $PREPROC_RULE_PATH/preprocessor.rules
include $PREPROC_RULE_PATH/decoder.rules

Yet these rules have never updated
in the preproc_rules dir:
-rw------- 1  18748 2011-09-07 14:47 decoder.rules
-rw------- 1  36577 2011-09-07 14:47 preprocessor.rules
-rw------- 1   1309 2011-09-07 14:47 sensitive-data.rules

in latest snort rules:
-rw-r--r-- 1  19685 2013-08-07 13:34 decoder.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1  41474 2013-08-07 13:34 preprocessor.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1   1309 2013-08-07 13:34 sensitive-data.rules

Why?  What can I do to troubleshoot this?

These should be in the generated snort.conf after running pulledpork. Someone correct me please if I am missing
something here.

Third...

I'm running:

PulledPork v0.6.1 the Smoking Pig <////~

Yet, if I comment out in pulledpork.conf:
version=0.6.0
or change it to
version=0.6.1
I get

You are not using the current version of pulledpork.conf!
Please use the version that shipped with PulledPork v0.6.1 the Smoking
Pig <////~!

Why must my pulledpork.conf have 0.6.0 as the version?

No clue. Haven't tried to miss with that :)

Finally...

I see

Use of uninitialized value within %hcategory in numeric eq (==) at
/opt/bin/pulledpork.pl line 1055.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?  Thank you for any help you can
bring...sorry it's a long email.

Again, no clue why, I have never seen it in our environment but I'm feeling that I have seen before, not sure where.
James