Snort mailing list archives

Question on overall SNORT Config under Windows

From: "Glass, Keith" <Keith.Glass () serco-na com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 09:17:33 -0400

Good morning. Attempting to stand up a Master-Slave IDS system running WinSnort with IIS and MySQL.

A generic architecture question: My SNORT master server/DB is configured with 4 interfaces: one currently used as the
basic network connection (with a defined connection, IPV4 only), two NICs currently disabled (Intel I350s), and one
currently disconnected from the network (set to DHCP)

Obviously, I'm going to have to keep the primary connection on the currently configured IP, etc. But other than
enabling the other NICs and attaching them to SPAN ports on the appropriate VLANs on the switch, how do I configure the
NICS in Windows so that SNORT can push them into sniffer/WinIDS mode ? Just enable and set to DHCP ? Haven't seen any
guidance, on Snort.org or over on WinSnort, on basic box configuration. . .

Suggestions, guidance, et cetera would be greatly appreciated!!!

Keith A. Glass, CISSP CEH
Senior Design Engineer (Security)
SERCO-NA
11781 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway, Suite 700
Fairfax, Virginia, 22033
(V) 703-788-2982
(C) 540-539-8448
keith.glass () serco-na com<mailto:keith.glass () fairoaks serco-na com>