Snort mailing list archives

Re: Thresholding by source AND destination

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 14:54:48 -0400

Try writing a pass rule for the two hosts.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Turnbough, Bradley E. <bturnbough () belcan com
wrote:

Hello,

A kind person sent me information last week regarding a solution to allow
me to disregard events when from a certain source to a certain destination.
 Can someone please give me a better idea how to do this?

For example:

I have a source DNS server IP address of 1.2.3.4 and a destintation DNS
server of 5.6.7.8

This alert is being generated:

INDICATOR-COMPROMISE Suspicious .cn dns query

BUT.... This is for a domain that I know is a legit domain.

dns.abc.cn

So, I want to exclude (threshold / not alert) suspicious CN domain
resolution requests when coming from 1.2.3.4 and going to 5.6.7.8 for a DNS
request of dns.abc.cn

Hopefully I explained myself well enough.

Thanks,

Brad

_____________________________________________________________ This e-mail
transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in
any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the
message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer
system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!

--
Joel Esler