Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pulledpork almost always 403

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:48:55 -0700

What version of the rules are you attempting to download?

--
Joel Esler

On Aug 2, 2013, at 6:36 AM, William Rehnquyst <rehnquyst () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm having an inexplicable problem where, whenever I try to get Pulledpork to update snort rules, it would almost
always give me the 403 error. In the past two weeks, it's worked only once, after trying for 3 days (so I know the
configs are correct).

Here are the troubleshooting that I've done so far:

1) I've checked that my oinkcode works by putting the download url in my browser to get the rules.
2) I've tried turning on verbose mode, but it doesn't give me any other informations than the 403 error.
3) As previously mentioned, the configs seems to be correct because it worked once out of the blue.
4) I've made sure that I'm not trying to get pulledpork to update any more frequently than 15 minutes (I usually wait
for 16 - 20)
5) I can actually get the rules from my browser, but the offline -n modifier doesn't seem to work anyway, so I can't
update that way

I'm out of ideas. Does it just mean snort.org has such high traffic that it causes errors most of the time?

Thanks!