Snort mailing list archives

Re: data base

From: Abid Ayoub <abid.ayoub () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:30:59 +0200

Hi

Thanks a lot , this is clear now.

So , barnyard2 will save in the data base only the alert ? can i make a
configuration to tell barnyard to save all the traffic ?

Thanks
Abid

2013/7/26 waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>

On 7/26/2013 05:05, Abid Ayoub wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for the answer.
ok , so i should run barnyard2 then run snort. In this case, branyard2
will
detect the new generated file by snort and put the data into snort data
base. is
this right ?

yes... you should be able to execute them in either order... i don't
believe
that is critical...

you mention "unified2 log file" , is this the gnerated file by snort ?
for
examlpe snort.log.1374827257 ?

the name depends on your configuration... by default (and with -A full -b)
snort
creates a text file of all the alerts named alert and it creates a new
snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx for each session... these snort.log.xxxxxxxxxx files
are
actually pcaps of the data that caused snort to raise the alerts...

So when i run  the following command :
/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard2.conf -d
/var/log/snort -f snort.u2 -w /var/log/snort/barnyard2.waldo

previously and now, when i see the "-f snort.u2" portion, i'm guessing
that that
indicates which base file name BY2 is to read and process...

snort.u2 is the genrated file, read by barnyard2 from te directrory
/var/log/snort ?
should i mention other options in barnyard2 command ?

if my guess above is accurate, you have at least this in your snort
config...

   output unified2: filename snort.u2

you may have additional parameters enhancing it... this results in files
named
snort.u2.xxxxxxxxxx in your snort log directory... those are the unified2
log
files... one for each session that snort is executed...

FWIW: snort.u2 is the base file name and the .xxxxxxxxxx (10 digits) are
the
unix timestamp of when the file was created ;)

Thanks a lot
Abid

2013/7/24 waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net <mailto:
wkitty42 () windstream net>>

    On 7/24/2013 05:45, Abid Ayoub wrote:
     > Hello,
     > i want to save the sniff result in a data base.
     > So , how can i do that when i have a lot of traffic?
     > Soll i use barnyard2 , i didnĀ“t understand why should i use it
and what for ?

    barnyard2 reads the snort unified2 log file and puts the data into
the database
    for you... barnyard2 handles all the database communication...
before, when
    snort tried to do it, snort could get hung up waiting on the
database to
    respond... during that period, traffic would be lost to snort and it
could not
    analyze it... since the alerts and evidence are written to the
unified2 log,
    barnyard2 can put it in the database when possible... if the
database is down
    for some reason, barnyard2 will wait for the database to come back
and then
    continue to put the data in... all this time, snort is still
analyzing the
    traffic and no data is lost...

    does that answer your questions?

--