Snort mailing list archives

Re: Not getting unified2 output

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:26:49 -0400

Remove -A fast and -b from your snort command line.

-elz

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM, mulhern <mulhern () gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,

My snort.conf file is set up for unified output.

My sysconfig file specifies a lot of things, resulting an invocation of
snort init script with the following options

-A fast -b -d -D -i eth0 -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l
/var/log/snort/eth0

I've set snort.conf with line

output unified2: filename merged.log, limit 128

I've set up a local-test.rules file that alerts on everything.

I can not find the merged.log file anywhere. I can find a snort.log which is
filling up with all sorts of data in tcpdump format, due to the -b flag.
There's also an alert file which is filling up with text, due to the -A fast
option.

But where should I be looking for unified2 output?

Thanks!

- mulhern

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest Snort
news!